Workplace accidents and injuries are a reality of life in California. Accidents happen and cannot always be prevented, that's why they're called accidents. That said, if safety rules are not followed to the letter at a worksite, tragic workplace injuries can result. Such was the case in a deadly accident in Rancho Santa Margarita.
Five Star Plastering, Inc. was hired to erect a scaffold on a school football field that would display a banner supporting the school's team. Two men, both 23, were tasked with working near the top of the scaffold, which was near power lines. The top of the scaffold was roughly 2 feet below the power lines that had not been properly checked to determine if they were a safe distance from the scaffold. The two young men were electrocuted by the lines. One was killed and the other suffered serious and permanent injuries.